- Board of Selectmen
Douglas Police Department Accreditation
2019 Thomas S. Green Public Service Award
CONGRATULATIONS to Adam Furno, one of four recipients of The Worcester Regional Research Bureau’s 2019 Thomas S. Green Public Service Award.
The Green Awards publicly recognize the efforts of individuals exhibiting the following characteristics:
• exceptional competence and efficient handling of all assigned responsibilities;
• enthusiastic performance of tasks above and beyond the call of duty;
• cooperative, helpful, and friendly attitude toward the public and fellow employees; and
• community involvement outside the scope of job-related responsibilities.
Douglas department heads nominated Adam Furno, a highway foeman, Facilities Maintenance Manager, Safety Coordinator, and a Captain and Call Firefighter, for the award.
Taken from The Research Bureau’s website:
• Mr. Furno’s primary title is Working Foreman in the Highway Department but he has taken on many roles for the Town. Adam also works in Building & Facilities Maintenance and is involved in every aspect of maintaining and improving Town buildings from major repairs to fixing leaks. He is a trained call fire-fighter and EMT, often a first responder at an incident. Adam “has had an enormous positive impact on the municipality.”
Town of Douglas Wins Outstanding Citizenship Award
The Senator Louis Bertonazzi Foundation presented the Town of Douglas their “Good Citizenship Award”. The Foundation “offers a small incentive for people to exercise the privilege of voting: a privilege won and maintained by the courage and sacrifice of so many over the history of our country.” The elections of 2017-2018 showed Douglas with an average voting percentage of 30.40%.
Senator Louis Bertonazzi and Board of Director Dr. Carl DiGregorio, attended the Board of Selectmen’s meeting on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 to present the Douglas Town Clerk and Board of Registrars a check for $1,000 to be used as they see fit to increase future voter turnout. The Board of Selectmen were presented a roaming plaque to display for the next two years, and the citizens of Douglas were presented with a banner proclaiming Douglas as the “Best Voting Community” in 2017 – 2018.
The Foundation also sponsors an“Outstanding Teacher Award”, and a program to send one qualified Milford student to study in Italy each summer.